Summer foods that cool
There are times when we end up with more workout or eating a lot of hot and spicy food that might result in rising internal temperature mechanism of our body. We might feel the hot flushes, acidity or problems related with elevation of the fiery element within the body, especially in Indian weather. Some people also experience heart burns, skin eruptions, and general irritability as one of the major symptoms. To avoid these symptoms, here are ways to keep your body cool, through pacifying foods and more.
Must Have Summer Foods
Drinking water is the best way to stay hydrated during scorching summers. Especially if you go out in sun often, never forget to carry a bottle of water with you. Drink loads of water to keep yourself fresh and cool. Eating whole cut fruits is better than drinking their juice though it does the cooling effect. Since you will also be getting the fiber you need for the day, by eating fruits, which is vital to store water within digestive system in summer.
Eat lots of moong dal, cucumbers, radish, fennel seeds, coconut water, pomegranate, poppy seeds, fenugreek seeds, cold milk, zucchini, melons, squashes, and other lighter vegetables more than root vegetables, leafy greens, whole grain pulses, meat (especially chicken and poultry), and dried fruits. Remember to combine the heat producing ingredients with coolants in your summer diet. Kadhi recipes, moong dal recipes, chaas and lassi recipes are a must inclusion to your diet this season.
- Drink Plenty of water
- Stock up on Fresh Coconut Water
- Eat Fresh Fruits & Make Fresh Fruit Juices
What To Avoid
- Keep away from chilled drinks, carbonated drinks or emulsions like ice cream which cools the body immediately. This might disrupt the normal functioning of body, by pausing the process of digestion and reducing action of digestive fluids on food.
- Spicy foods increase the acidic fluid in the digestive system. This results in heartburns and increased belch. Be the mildest spiced in food this summer, to keep up with it.
Here is a recipe of refreshing mango Lassi
- 1 Mango , Alphonso or local mango cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Yogurt (Curd)
- 4 tablespoons Sugar , (depending on how sweet your mango is)
- water and ice as required
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- 2 sprig Mint Leaves (Pudina)
Directions for Mango Lassi Recipe (A Refreshing Mango Drink with Yogurt)
- To begin making the Mango Lassi Recipe, first peel the mangoes and cut them into small chunks. Squeeze out the excess pulp from the seed by adding a little water.
- Next combine all the main ingredients and blend into a smooth paste. Add any additional water if required to adjust the consistency of the Mango lassi. Taste and add more sugar or yogurt if required to suit your taste.
- Once blended, serve the Mango Lassi immediately garnished with either mint leaves or chopped pistachios.
- Serve the Mango Lassi Recipe (A Refreshing Mango Drink with Yogurt) as a summer drink or as a Party Drink Recipe